Tuesday, June 30, 2009

The SHORT ORDER: String Cheese

It's been an emotionally weighty few days for me following a car crash that, in the blink of an eye and a momentary flick of unconsciousness, changed my life (it's as simple as that). Since then, I've needed the pinprick of solitude to burst whatever mindset I seem to have been living under for a while now. For the meager-minded decision--confidence accompanying it--to drive after having a lot to drink, all my preaching about being short yet having great stature, are for naught. This time, my mind truly fit my size. 

So I've been thinking. A lot. And in this self-imposed mourning for the life I could have lost, there are, fittingly enough, few comforts. But you need your breaks--and you can't allow yourself to whither into nothingness, either (even if your mind kind of considers it). 

String cheese has been my ever-reliable comfort food during these times. And it's not so much the pure, dairy taste or it's health-giving goodness as a snack that's what's so great about it. It's how you eat it: peeling each layer like you were peeling the layers of stupidity off of your head. Or like some kind of gummy catharsis you're dealing with. It's one stick, but even when you've got a lot on your mind, holding onto that last string and swallowing it--it leaves you satisfied. 



No comments:

Post a Comment